Monday, April 15, 2013

Some Days are Such a Blast... A Trinitrotoluene Blast, That Is


These are the days I question myself and my decision to homeschool.*  If you've been reading this blog, you've read about an exceptionally good day in our homeschooling life.  Now, to provide some reality and perspective, I’ll tell you about what a bad day looks like in our household:

Before school even starts, the J-Rex takes over an hour to complete her morning chores that, on good days, can be completed in 10 minutes with ease.  Even then, the hubs and I find ourselves giving her yet more time to finish the parts she neglected, like cleaning up after herself in the bathroom, despite the fact that every single step of her chores are typed on a list and posted in multiple places throughout the house.

We have breakfast and the parental units can’t enjoy our own food because we constantly have to tell the J-Rex to eat, despite the fact that it’s one of her favorite breakfasts.

Now two hours after getting up, we finally get started on school and the J-Rex begins her (routine at this point in the year) Calendar Time, which typically takes about 15-20 minutes.  Today, it takes over an hour and when I check her work, significant parts have not been completed, so I give her more time to finish. 

We go on to our word of the day and, as I’m discussing the meaning of the word “foray” and explaining how to work through a brain-teaser question about the word, the J-Rex starts playing with some hair that was stuck under her eye patch and completely tunes me out, leading to her first time out of the day.  We talk. I explain how I need her attention, she apologizes and we go on to have a fun time completing our word of the day brain teaser, quote of the day, and quiz question of the day.  I feel relieved and have hope for a good day despite a rough beginning…


Then it is time for an assignment she’s not too enthusiastic about: copying and correcting her rough draft of a writing assignment from the other day into a neat final form.  The J-Rex is visually impaired – legally blind with her glasses, she can see but has no focal point and is extremely myopic – so copy-work is a major challenge for her.  We try to avoid using copy-work when we can but when you are teaching the writing process, copying is a necessity for writing a final draft. Since I know this is something that’s tough for her though, I remind myself before we even start to practice patience and understanding.

She has a tough time and ends up adding new mistakes to her final draft, so I calmly explain (Go me! I followed through and remembered my patience!) where she’s making mistakes and have her start over, giving her tips that might make it easier.  I keep checking on her progress so that we can catch the mistakes quickly and end up having to re-start her several times.  If you have a special needs child with perfectionism issues, you might have an idea of how high the J-Rex’s frustration level was getting at this point… If you don’t, count yourself lucky and know that she was getting pretty darn frustrated.

Maybe we need this poster in our home!
Image courtesy of The Graphics Fairy

In the J-Rex, frustration leads to distraction very often.  I realized what was happening and saw she was starting to do better, so I gave her a little more time before going in and checking on her progress again (10 minutes to be exact).  When I check, she’s slowed down exponentially and has only written one word.  It was neat, though, so I praised the good, reminded her she needed to work more quickly, and left to check on her again in ten more minutes.  When I check again, she’s written three words, but they’re so messy they’re almost unintelligible – the draft she was copying from was 10 times neater – and for some reason there are drips of water all over the page. So, I made her start over again checked back in a couple of minutes to find her just doodling on the new blank page. 

At this point, I admit I was starting to lose that carefully planned patience, but I tried my best to stay calm and to explain that the more time she wastes during her assignments, the less play time she gets in the afternoon, so she needed to get moving. Next thing I know, she’s having a seven-year old crying, screaming version of a temper tantrum and I’m putting her in time out until she can calm herself and talk to me about what’s going on. 

That time-out lasted an hour and a half. An hour and a half! I had to go outside and close the door because my sensitive ears couldn't handle the noise for that long!  

When the J-Rex finally calmed down, we ended up having a talk about what she needed to do to turn her day around and do you know what? She did it. She has now whipped through that final draft and a handwriting assignment in about thirty minutes total, is now eating lunch, and is acting like the kind, funny, respectful J-Rex that I know and love again. 

I still don’t know what was going on with her this morning and I’m not sure that I, as her parent, will ever get the privilege of that insight. I do know that I’m more emotionally exhausted from all of this than she seems to be and, if I were more of a drinker, I’d probably be three sheets to the wind right now.  As it is, I’m dealing by smoking more cigarettes than I should, writing a highly frustrated blog post, and promising myself an early bedtime for the J-Rex so I can watch a disaster movie tonight to remind myself how much more stressful my life could be.





*When I do question this path we are on as a family, which is often, I always come to the same conclusion: It isn't perfect, but it’s the right one for us right now, and the good does always outshine the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment