Thursday, May 9, 2013

Climate Change is a Bitch...But Life Goes On

It has been a very wet and weirdly cold Spring in my region of the world.  I've lost a good half of the foxglove patch and a planter full of tomato, carrot, and marigold seeds due to drainage issues (and my poor placement of the patch), watched hard rains pummel and move seeds around their pots and in our few ground plots, have seen several herbs shrivel due to lack of sun and warmth, and waited anxiously for blooms on tomato plants that should be here but haven't come yet due to the unseasonable temperatures.  Yes, we haven't had a frost in a while now, but in this area, I should already be having to put my lettuce in the shade to prevent bolting and be seeing those same pollinators we attracted in the brief warm moments of early Spring hanging around the garden full-time by now... Instead, I've got a planter to set up again - with better drainage this time (and no more of that horrible hydrophobic potting soil we had accidentally purchased!) - successive plantings to do that had been put off because of the weather, and a bunch of well-watered plants that need to be fertilized...



I had initially planned to fertilize a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't needed to water anything with all these rains and I didn't want to drown my plant-babies... So, today, I just went for it and gave everyone some Epsom salts, whether they needed the water or not.  As I was feeding the garden, I noticed something I hadn't been expecting: There were several new sprouts and many of these were in odd places, their seeds having been moved by the rains...  

Where did all these new sprouts come from? I'd given up on those seeds...
but, wait...
How did that sage get into the basil pot? 
Why is there cilantro in the basil-oregano-strawberry-pot-experiment? 
Didn't I plant the carrots in the middle of that pot and the savory on the outside, instead of the other way around?  

I looked at all these questions and realized, with both seeds and children, you can never quite predict where they'll come up but still, even under harsh conditions, they do...


2 comments:

  1. Yeah! Glad you didn't lose everything. What can you put Epsom salts on? What is it good for? I haven't used or heard of using it in the garden before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had read about putting Epsom salts on tomatoes and on your lawn for lush grass, so I figured I'd try them on everything and see what happened... For most of the plants, I'll have to wait to see any result, but the effect on my bell pepper was dramatic! It was all droopy looking in the morning (as it had been since we got it), but after the salts, it bushed out and lifted all of its leaves very impressively.

      Delete