Monday, May 26, 2014

An Open Heart

Love is a crazy thing. In modern society, we are brought up to believe that love is a strong word...a word to be used with caution. We are taught that it is acceptable to like a thing but not to love it. 

I remember the example I was always given: "You may like an orange, but you can't love it." I never really understood that. Why can't I love that orange? Why can't I see it not just for being a tasty fruit that's filled with vitamin C and sugar but also for its role as a beautiful individual organism in this incredible biosphere of ours?  Is that not worthy of love?

I look at monks of various spiritual traditions and I see that, so often, in their detachment,  they are filled with this immense amount of love and joy. They often refer to this in writings as the love of God(s) but really it is a love for all of creation,  for every atom that makes up our universe.  If they can love like that and if that level of enlightenment is the ideal, then why do we bring up our children to separate like and love...to use the latter term so sparingly? 

Indoctrinated as I was into this idea that love is rare and should be withheld except in cases of the strongest emotion, I lived a lifetime of holding back. I would feel myself filled with the desire to wrap my arms around a friend or even an aquaintance and tell them how much they are loved and I would stop myself...ask the question, "is what I feel really love?" Then I would stow my love away...because it was too strong...because it was inappropriate...because I was taught that it would hurt.


And, in the process, much of the innocent joy of my childhood slowly slipped away from me.

Then one day I simply realized that it was ok to be generous in my love. Not only was it ok but I was actually lucky to be able to perceive the world in the sensitive, caring, loving way that I do. 

The J-Rex was one of the most important people in helping me to learn this lesson because it was through her that I began to understand the true meaning of unconditional love.  It was also through seeing her experience the world in that same loving way that I used to that reminded me the importance of a truly open heart. 
 
So, I re-opened my heart. And I rediscovered my joy.
 
Over time, I have found that I have an infinite capacity for love.  I don't just love my family and close friends, I love my acquaintances, the kind people I've just met, the strangers I talk to on the internet, and even the strangers I've never met. I love the universe and every living thing contained therein.  I love those who would do me harm. I love those who don't love me back. 

I love, and through love, I become love and love becomes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment