Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Quitting Smoking, part deux: The Things I've Learned

I've learned that smoking, for me, was not an oral fixation and that I can completely
satisfy a craving by burning paper safely in a bucket - apparently, I am extremely comforted by the smell of smoke (I blame the wood stoves in my childhood).

I've learned that doing fun things with my daughter is both the best reward and the best distraction of any I could give myself when I have a craving.

I've learned that even my subconscious is committed to this lifestyle change because my dreams about smoking are nightmares.

I've learned that my friends respect and support me in making this change in my life regardless of whether they are smokers or not.

I've learned that it matters a lot to me that people are proud of me for quitting but it matters even more that I'm proud of myself.

I've learned that I like exercise more than I thought now that I'm less out of breath than I have been for the last several years.

I've learned that I have far, far more time available in my days than I previously thought.

I've learned that I deserve to pamper myself and that my body deserves to be treated like the temple it is.

I've learned that I care less about the health or monetary benefits of quitting than I do about the psychological and spiritual benefits.

I've learned that I get far less mosquito bites but go on far more garden walks than when I was smoking.


Most of all, I've learned that I'm a lot stronger than I thought I was and that desire makes all the difference when making a radical change.

No comments:

Post a Comment