Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Layer Underneath

Today, I harvested herbs, not because we needed them for a dish, but for the health of the plants.

The basil was growing tall and had enormous leaves but was spindly, too thin... I cut the tops off at the branching points and hope to see bushier plants in a few weeks.

More interesting, though, is the sage, originally harvested for the same reason as the basil. As I began plucking the large upper leaves, I noticed an entirely new sage plant starting to grow in the under-layer...a plant that would have shrivelled and died had I not uncovered it today... 


So often, we forget to look below the surface of things or, if we do, we fear uncovering what lies beneath for a myriad of reasons... Sometimes, however, we have to take a risk, destroy the status quo, as beautiful or comfortable as it may be, and make room in our lives for new growth...

No comments:

Post a Comment